P0016 after tune

Discuss Predator 2 for GM vehicles.

Moderator: sohfast94

mhauck68

P0016 after tune

Post by mhauck68 »

Hi there- I have a 2010 1500 LTZ (5.3 LC9). I did a DOD delete kit with a stock non-AFM cam and selected Stock tune with DOD off. I immediately got P0010 and P0340 codes with a long start. replaced my Camshaft sensor and those codes went away, but now I have P0016. Before I start tearing things back apart just to verify timing is perfect (99% sure I got it right) or replacing the Crankshaft sensor, is there a way to adjust the timing through the Predator 2.
It runs really smooth although the shift points are a little hinky, but there is a bit of rattle at idle that goes away in gear / motion.
mikel

Re: P0016 after tune

Post by mikel »

Nothing in the tune is going to cause or fix that, the pcm thinks the cam is out of sync with the crank.
can try a cam/crank relearn to see if it fixes it.
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
06MonteSS

Re: P0016 after tune

Post by 06MonteSS »

Need to get a CASE/Crank Relearn done for that aftermarket/non-stock cam....

A CASE relearn is a Crank Angle Sensor Error relearn, which realigns the position between the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor. This relationship helps the vehicle determine advanced misfires.

A crank relearn is a process that the PCM goes through to recalibrate its knowledge of the relationship between the crankshaft and camshaft. That’s necessary because the crank and cam are connected by a timing chain or timing belt. Over time, the timing chain/belt can stretch and that stretch changes the relationship and timing between the crankshaft and camshaft.

If the change/stretch is great enough, the PCM will notice discrepancies between the commanded valve timing adjustments and the actual valve timing. That difference can cause misfires like P0300 or specific cylinder misfires.

You can try doing it yourself using the steps below...

1 - Turn off all of the accessories. With the Air temperature sensor and Coolant temperature within 5 degrees (Centigrade) of each other, start the engine and let it idle in Park or Neutral for two minutes.

2 - Accelerate the vehicle to 55 mph at part throttle. Cruise at 55 mph for 8- 10 minutes until the engine reaches operating temperature.

3 - Cruise at 55 mph for another 5-6 minutes.

4 - Decelerate to 45 mph without using the brakes, and maintain 45 mph for 1 minute.

5 - Perform 4 deceleration cycles, without using the brakes, of 25 seconds each where no specific speed is necessary. Returning to 45 mph for 15 seconds in between deceleration cycles.

6 - Accelerate to 55 mph and cruise for 2 minutes.

7 - Stop the vehicle and idle for 2 minutes with the brake applied and the transmission in Drive (automatic trans.) or Neutral (manual trans.) with the clutch depressed.

If that doesn't work, then you'd need to take it to a dealer/shop and have the crank relearn done using their dealer-level scan tool...
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net