i3 8200 "Read Failed,"

Post here with any questions regarding the use of the i2 on supported Chevrolet, GMC, Cadillac, Buick, and Pontiac applications.

Moderator: sohfast94

dirty8100

i3 8200 "Read Failed,"

Post by dirty8100 »

I purchased this unit second hand and I checked to verify it was unmarried from the previous vehicle by looking in the info.xml file that shows there is 1 license and 0 vehicles tuned.

The vehicle I'm trying to tune is a 2003 Silverado 2500HD with the 8.1L and the Allison auto, it is not nor has it ever been tuned previously.

When I try to install the 87 octane tune that comes with the unit, it gets no more than 9% of the way through reading the factory tune before it asks me to cycle the key off and then on again, and then it gives me the wonderfully vague "Read Failed," error and returns to the home screen.

I've tried this over and over again at least 10 times with the same result, I updated the unit today with the update agent software and no difference.

I read in the manual online that aftermarket electronics can interfere with the tuner and the only thing I have is an aftermarket radio, and I pulled the radio fuse under the hood and this made no difference.

I'll include the info.xml file in case that can shed any light on the situation.

Thanks in advance!
06MonteSS

Re: i3 8200 "Read Failed,"

Post by 06MonteSS »

Anything aftermarket installed in the vehicle? i.e did not come from the factory?

You need to make sure anything aftermarket is disconnected/pull the fuse for - anything like aftermarket stereo, subs, amps, nav, alarm, remote start, seat heaters, trailer brake/light setup, etc.. anything like that, their wiring harnesses need to be disconnected/pull the fuses for it before you try to tune anything...

also make sure everything is turned off inside the truck.. lights, radio, heat/fan/blower, do not operate power windows, put your parking brake on, etc...

Have to have the key turned to ON position, but engine not started/running...

Also, if you have low voltage like from a weak battery in the truck, that can also cause tune install issues.. so make sure your truck battery is fully charged...
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
dirty8100

Post by dirty8100 »

I remembered I had a chip in the fuse box that allows all your lights to be on at the same time, so I removed that, and this time around I pulled the whole radio out and the harnesses too, and the battery in my truck is strong but I also put a battery charger on it just in case and still nothing.

No lights are on inside the truck, not using the windows or HVAC or interior lights, anything like that.

It still does the exact same thing every time, gets to like 9% when reading a backup of the truck and then asks me to cycle the key off and then on (without starting the engine, I know I know) and then it says “read failed”.

I’m not sure if the wrong tunes are uploaded to my Diablo unit or if something else is going on like it not being registered to my account or something like that, but I’ve read tons of forum posts and the instructions and I’m lost here.
mikel

Post by mikel »

does it say anything about reading tcm?
Please give our team a call to report this so they can have our group look into whats happening.
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com