Getting ready to order a Predator. Have ?'s

Predator support for GM gas vehicles

Moderators: 06MonteSS, mikel

SierraH/O
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:13 pm

Getting ready to order a Predator. Have ?'s

Post by SierraH/O »

I'm getting ready to purchase a Predator in the nest 30 days and I was wondering what kind of gains I can expect. I have a 2005 GMC ECSB Z71 with the L33 aluminum 5.3. I plan on running the 93 octane tune, and I buy my gas at BP stations(recommended by Diablosport). I'm looking for
A.More power
B.More gas mileage
C.More drivabilty(better throttle response and all that jazz)
Right now the truck has a drop in K&N filter, and a 3" in Dual 2.5" out Cherry Bomb Extreme exhaust. I've been reading what other people are running into with the 7193 and am just curios.
Grumpy_Aero_Guy
Posts: 842
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:29 pm

RE: Getting ready to order a Predator. Have ?

Post by Grumpy_Aero_Guy »

Buy it. My truck is a beast with a (slightly modded) Diablo tune. Make sure you get the PC interface kit. I believe Maryland Speed (Google) actually throws the kit in with every Predator purchase --- other vendors may as well.

A. check

B. Slightly more. Expect 0.5 to 1 mpg improvement (if you can keep your foot out of it)

C. check

As for the drop-in K&N..... LOSE IT, and now.

Go for a true Cold Air intake (I recommend other than K&N). The drop ins, especially in the NBS trucks, actually are a detriment to air flow for reasons I don't want to go into right now.
Grumpy Aero Guy, 07 Sierra 5.3, Diablo Tuned, CAI
DSLogRedux.com

Image

Image
SierraH/O
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:13 pm

Re: RE: Getting ready to order a Predator. Have ?

Post by SierraH/O »

Grumpy_Aero_Guy wrote:Buy it. My truck is a beast with a (slightly modded) Diablo tune. Make sure you get the PC interface kit. I believe Maryland Speed (Google) actually throws the kit in with every Predator purchase --- other vendors may as well.

A. check

B. Slightly more. Expect 0.5 to 1 mpg improvement (if you can keep your foot out of it)

C. check

As for the drop-in K&N..... LOSE IT, and now.

Go for a true Cold Air intake (I recommend other than K&N). The drop ins, especially in the NBS trucks, actually are a detriment to air flow for reasons I don't want to go into right now.
Thanks. I looked up Maryland Speed. Is the free interface kit the the same one as the Diablosport? I plan on getting an S&B CAI kit in the near future(early next year).
User avatar
06MonteSS
Posts: 18097
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 am
Contact:

RE: Re: RE: Getting ready to order a Predator. Have ?

Post by 06MonteSS »

yes, same one... just make sure you get the correct one...

if you have a newer PC and don't have any serial ports, you need to get the USB cable set...

if you DO have a serial port, then get the serial cable set... a lot less issues with that...
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
Image
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
SierraH/O
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:13 pm

RE: Re: RE: Getting ready to order a Predator. Have ?

Post by SierraH/O »

I'm going to order this week from Maryland speed. Since the newest revision or the 7193 came out back in the summer they should have it, right? I want to make sure it has the datalog capability since that was one of the upgrades.
User avatar
06MonteSS
Posts: 18097
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 am
Contact:

RE: Re: RE: Getting ready to order a Predator. Have ?

Post by 06MonteSS »

yes, they will have the newest revision/versions of the predators...

you will be able to save logs and also update it when needed via the internet downloads...
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
Image
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
SierraH/O
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:13 pm

RE: Re: RE: Getting ready to order a Predator. Have ?

Post by SierraH/O »

Great thanks.
SierraH/O
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:13 pm

RE: Re: RE: Getting ready to order a Predator. Have ?

Post by SierraH/O »

Got it today. Loaded the 93 octane tune and tweaked the shifts point and top speed a little. After a week or so I'm going to datalog, and go into DSLogredux and see what it says. I can tell already it pulls hard through 1st gear(upped the shift point to 5700) I can't wait until it learns the tune all the way.
User avatar
06MonteSS
Posts: 18097
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 am
Contact:

RE: Re: RE: Getting ready to order a Predator. Have ?

Post by 06MonteSS »

excellent!!
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
Image
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
SierraH/O
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:13 pm

RE: Re: RE: Getting ready to order a Predator. Have ?

Post by SierraH/O »

I do have a question now. It seems like my fans are running more now. Does anyone know the factory on/off settings so I can readjust them?
User avatar
06MonteSS
Posts: 18097
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 am
Contact:

RE: Re: RE: Getting ready to order a Predator. Have ?

Post by 06MonteSS »

fans running a little more = cooler engine = more power

what tune did you install?
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
Image
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
SierraH/O
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:13 pm

RE: Re: RE: Getting ready to order a Predator. Have ?

Post by SierraH/O »

I did the Diablo tune. So the fans running more is normal? If so, I'm not worried.
User avatar
06MonteSS
Posts: 18097
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 am
Contact:

RE: Re: RE: Getting ready to order a Predator. Have ?

Post by 06MonteSS »

yeah, because they make changes to the fan settings, so that they do run a little more... no worries... ;)
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
Image
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
SierraH/O
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:13 pm

RE: Re: RE: Getting ready to order a Predator. Have ?

Post by SierraH/O »

OK. I've run my tune for about 3 weeks now. I am very happy. I know my 3.42's are killing me(32 inch tall tires), but once I'm rolling, it's an animal. I can't wait to get time to datalog, and get my LTFT's dialed in. I also noticed about 1 MPG better mileage. The truck caught me offguard the other day. I pulled out of work, and nailed it. Usually, I get a little tire spin, a small fishtail, and away we go. Not this day. Hazed the tires, and had to do a full lock couter steer just to keep it out of the ditch. I was very happy. Also, the L33 truck motor pulls like a freight train to 105 or so(I let out at 110). I set my 1-2 shift at 5700, and 2-3 at 5600. My part throttle driving is great too. Throttle response is instantaneous compared to stock. The first time it rained, it was like driving on ice until I got used to it.
Grumpy_Aero_Guy
Posts: 842
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:29 pm

RE: Re: RE: Getting ready to order a Predator. Have ?

Post by Grumpy_Aero_Guy »

now for the CAI and exhaust....

did the same with my truck in a school parking lot after loading diablotune. It was a little wet out, goosed it and did a donut..

enjoy....
Grumpy Aero Guy, 07 Sierra 5.3, Diablo Tuned, CAI
DSLogRedux.com

Image

Image
Post Reply

Return to “Predator GM Gas”