Ford Aftermarket MAFs
Moderator: mikel
-
tdchandler
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 11:40 am
Ford Aftermarket MAFs
I have seen several threads where the recommendation is made to trash our expensive Granatelli MAFs and go buy one for a Lightning. Why are Granatelli MAFs so bad and considered so inferior.
- mikel
- Posts: 58774
- Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:17 pm
- Location: DiabloSport World Headquarters
- Contact:
RE: Ford Aftermarket MAFs
Rather than say why we dont like to use them, I can say that the Lightning MAF is built to OEM tolerances and is not calibrated, making it much easier to properly tune.
Also, why pay so much for a MAF that cant even move as much air as a cheaper Lightning unit?
There is no magic to making power with a MAF, as long as it is not a restriction all it has to do is measure air, it just needs to be consistent.
Also, why pay so much for a MAF that cant even move as much air as a cheaper Lightning unit?
There is no magic to making power with a MAF, as long as it is not a restriction all it has to do is measure air, it just needs to be consistent.
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST
[email protected]
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST
[email protected]
-
tdchandler
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 11:40 am
RE: Ford Aftermarket MAFs
Those are all things I knew. So I am to assume that aside from spending big bucks there is nothing wrong with my expensive MAF and if there is you aren't going to tell me.
- mikel
- Posts: 58774
- Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:17 pm
- Location: DiabloSport World Headquarters
- Contact:
RE: Ford Aftermarket MAFs
LOL, OK, it is inconsistent, doesn't flow that much better than the stock offerings (thus offering NO improvement in power through reducing restriction), and has its own 'curve' built in that may work well on one car and not so well on another....yet it is advertised as improving power, which it can only do by improperly leaning the mixture (and unsafely).
Dont take it so personally, we are not trying to tell you what to do, but the stock stuff is as good as it gets most of the time.
Dont take it so personally, we are not trying to tell you what to do, but the stock stuff is as good as it gets most of the time.
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST
[email protected]
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST
[email protected]
-
tdchandler
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 11:40 am
RE: Ford Aftermarket MAFs
Cool! That is the info I am looking for. My truck (01 Screw 4.6 2V 4X2) is laying on it's nose off the line. Once I get the revs up I can back off the throttle slightly and jump on it again then it is like a rocket. I have taken care of the injectors, rails and regulator. My ignition system will burn through titanium, you can drive a small car through my induction system, and it is smooth and shiny (normally aspirated). I have the heads (Patriot), cams (Comp) and lower end to support a small thermal nuclear explosion. I think my biggest problem may be the trans which is getting ready to receive some love very soon with a new convertor, Kevlar clutches and valve body. I am confident that I will eventually get it nailed once I get the tune right. I have a Predator installed and have been playing with the log files and adjusting the tune accordingly. But, it is like browsing through the library of congress and not knowing how to speak English. I am new to tuning but I am trying to learn and there is a truckload to learn. I have all the books and I want to learn for myself how to make my tune a thing of beauty. How do you think I should proceed? Are there 80 pound heads (smart people) out there who will answer my questions?
- mikel
- Posts: 58774
- Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:17 pm
- Location: DiabloSport World Headquarters
- Contact:
RE: Ford Aftermarket MAFs
Honestly, while I applaud your efforts, you need to let a pro have a whack at that tune in order to get it right.
There are alot of changes that need to be made to dial in heads and cams that cant be made through the Predator. These changes will give you excellent driveability, better mileage, and unleash all of the available power in the combo.
There are alot of changes that need to be made to dial in heads and cams that cant be made through the Predator. These changes will give you excellent driveability, better mileage, and unleash all of the available power in the combo.
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST
[email protected]
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST
[email protected]