F150 towing

General Tech Support Questions

Moderators: 06MonteSS, mikel

Post Reply
oreo
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:39 pm

F150 towing

Post by oreo »

I have a 2004 Ford F150 Crewcab 5.4L auto trans. I also have a K&N intake and have a Banks cat-back exhaust on order.I Installed the 87 octane tune,but wanted to know which tune would be best for pulling my travel trailer it weighs about 5500 lbs when fully loaded.Also wanted to know if any adjustments shift pressure or rpm shift points would help.I have enough power I am trying to get better fuel mileage.
User avatar
kmac1
Posts: 1006
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:43 pm

Re: F150 towing

Post by kmac1 »

oreo wrote:I have a 2004 Ford F150 Crewcab 5.4L auto trans. I also have a K&N intake and have a Banks cat-back exhaust on order.I Installed the 87 octane tune,but wanted to know which tune would be best for pulling my travel trailer it weighs about 5500 lbs when fully loaded.Also wanted to know if any adjustments shift pressure or rpm shift points would help.I have enough power I am trying to get better fuel mileage.
I have not tested the tunes for towing but the 87 tunes are very mild as far as spark advance. They are based more on torque demand and throttle feel, and I would try it as a start point. Keep in mind the tune is not designed specifically for the K&N cold air and that may lean it out somewhat. If you decide to try the 87 tune I recommend listening very closely for any type of detonation and backing off you do hear it. There is a global spark advance adjustment which you can set to -1 or -2 which will give you near stock spark timing yet still allow you to benefit from the improved throttle feel of the 87 tune. Hope this help!

Thanks,
Kevin@DiabloSport
Post Reply

Return to “General Support”