please an unbiased opinion
please an unbiased opinion
looking at getting a programer and the only ones I know of are the Hypertec Max Energy, Super Chips, and Predator. Im looking for power and mpg if possible. I hope someone can give me some good info on what to do. Thanks
RE: please an unbiased opinion
Not a fan of Hypertech, I had one before (HP3) and although not bad, it wasn't great either. I know the max energy is good, but I've read plenty of guys who bought it and switched to another programmer.
Superchips gives you an 87 tune, 91 tune, towing tune, and now a mileage tune. It's certainly worth consideration. I have a friend with one and he likes it alot. There are some tweeks you can make, but for the most part, they are out of the box tunes. Superchip can also do updates for the latest software if when it comes out.
Diablo gives you 87 tune, 91 tune, and the ability to do custom tunes from diablo or other qualified tuners. Depending on the model, most give you ALOT of different tuning options to tweek and customize to your liking. You can log data, and get free online support from this forum. The guys here are Top notch.
You have a 3rd option in my opinion too. There are custom tuners out that tune your pcm to your requests. They can adjust many of the parameters that no handheld can tune (that I'm aware of). Some cases they even cost less. You have many to choose from but my favorites are Westersgarage, PCM4Less, GoWheatley, and Nelson Performance. You can google them for more information. But if your the kind of person that likes to tweek or want to remove the tune before going to the dealership, then that option would be out. Most tuners will support changes for free, but you have to pay the shipping each time unless your lucky and have one local to you.
From my personal experience, I've had Jet Stage 2 chip, Hypertech 3, Custom PCM tune and Diablo. A close friend of mine has the Superchips so I have a good opinion of that too.
You can't go wrong with either superchips or diablo. You'll be happy with either one.
Steven
Superchips gives you an 87 tune, 91 tune, towing tune, and now a mileage tune. It's certainly worth consideration. I have a friend with one and he likes it alot. There are some tweeks you can make, but for the most part, they are out of the box tunes. Superchip can also do updates for the latest software if when it comes out.
Diablo gives you 87 tune, 91 tune, and the ability to do custom tunes from diablo or other qualified tuners. Depending on the model, most give you ALOT of different tuning options to tweek and customize to your liking. You can log data, and get free online support from this forum. The guys here are Top notch.
You have a 3rd option in my opinion too. There are custom tuners out that tune your pcm to your requests. They can adjust many of the parameters that no handheld can tune (that I'm aware of). Some cases they even cost less. You have many to choose from but my favorites are Westersgarage, PCM4Less, GoWheatley, and Nelson Performance. You can google them for more information. But if your the kind of person that likes to tweek or want to remove the tune before going to the dealership, then that option would be out. Most tuners will support changes for free, but you have to pay the shipping each time unless your lucky and have one local to you.
From my personal experience, I've had Jet Stage 2 chip, Hypertech 3, Custom PCM tune and Diablo. A close friend of mine has the Superchips so I have a good opinion of that too.
You can't go wrong with either superchips or diablo. You'll be happy with either one.
Steven

2007 GMC Sierra SLT Vmax. 4.10 gears, Bedrug, Boss MT100 20x8.5 wheels/Kumho STX tires, Extang Bed cover, Light of fire, Denali Grill, GM Performance Intake and DiabloSport
RE: please an unbiased opinion
thanks for the tips. i have been reading a lot and i keep going back and forth on getting it because i will ocasionally read that someone is having issues with is and I don't really want to have issues if im spending $300+ on something.
RE: please an unbiased opinion
Stevens07 presents an excellent summary. My additional two cents....I have a Nelson tune and have been extremely satisfied. Nelson is a first class outfit that provides TCM support for the new GM trucks. The handhelds don't do that and I find dumping this particular nanny software essential to driveability; the way it oughta be sort of thing. Handhelds are also susceptible to download issues, usually due to bus chatter problems, which also makes them less attractive. No one likes a suddenly dead truck. One thing of note that Nelson offers and that I took advantage of is buying out your cores. My OEM modules are in a box in the truck and can be changed out, no tool, in about three minutes. This fixes the taking it into the dealer for service and shipping down time for retune issues. The downside of this is initial expense.