Gear question
Moderator: mikel
Gear question
I am about to install a 4:10 gearset in an 07' Ram RC, 3:55's now. Mods are Flow Master, Predator 93 octane tune, CAI, 180 T. Will I need any mods to the tune after the gear install?
07' RAM 5.7, Rg cab, 91oct. tune, CAI, BBK shorty's Magnaflow with true duals, 180 t-stat., 4:10 gear, 4500 lbs w/o driver. U7137X, V9t07d
- mikel
- Posts: 58777
- Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:17 pm
- Location: DiabloSport World Headquarters
- Contact:
RE: Gear question
Nope, just set the gears.
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST
[email protected]
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST
[email protected]
RE: Gear question
If one sets the gears with quick adjust alone, how does that impact the stock tune and warranty service?
Reason that I ask is because I plan to change the gears in my 08 Charger SRT8 to 3.73.
My guess is that the stock tune backup will keep the old gear ratios. Also, the dealer will not balk on other warranty service if they see a quick adjust alone in there. After all, the car will not go without some kind of gear adjust.
I did not see this question or situation addressed when I searched the Forums. Thanks!
Reason that I ask is because I plan to change the gears in my 08 Charger SRT8 to 3.73.
My guess is that the stock tune backup will keep the old gear ratios. Also, the dealer will not balk on other warranty service if they see a quick adjust alone in there. After all, the car will not go without some kind of gear adjust.
I did not see this question or situation addressed when I searched the Forums. Thanks!
RE: Gear question
How about just asking your dealer?
They will know the gears have been changed.
They will know it won't run without pcm modifications.
The question is if they'll take issue with you running a modified PCM program/tune... my guess is probably.
Saying "but I only changed the gear ratio" isn't going to cut it. From their point of view you have flashed the PCM with a new/different/not approved image. On the other hand, if there are warranty issues they have to show that the modification you did contributed to the failure (of course, that might involve you taking them to court...).
How about checking with the dealer to see if they would/could change the gear ratio at the dealership with a StarScan?
Stock tune, change gears, get car to dealership, have them change the gear ratio with a StarScan.
Then use the Predator and it should backup the original (with changed gear ratio) as your Original Backup.
They will know the gears have been changed.
They will know it won't run without pcm modifications.
The question is if they'll take issue with you running a modified PCM program/tune... my guess is probably.
Saying "but I only changed the gear ratio" isn't going to cut it. From their point of view you have flashed the PCM with a new/different/not approved image. On the other hand, if there are warranty issues they have to show that the modification you did contributed to the failure (of course, that might involve you taking them to court...).
How about checking with the dealer to see if they would/could change the gear ratio at the dealership with a StarScan?
Stock tune, change gears, get car to dealership, have them change the gear ratio with a StarScan.
Then use the Predator and it should backup the original (with changed gear ratio) as your Original Backup.
2006 Magnum SRT8
AFE Stage II
Mopar Cat Back
185* T-stat
RDP tune by Steve
AFE Stage II
Mopar Cat Back
185* T-stat
RDP tune by Steve
Gear Changes: Take to Dealer!
You are so right. What you say makes perfect sense. What better way to insure continuous warranty coverage than to have the dealer involved in any changes? And yes, that was my question and thank you for your answer. The only problem might be in getting the car there after the gear change, but that would be relatively minor compared to a warranty dispute. Makes perfect sense. Great! Thanks.
RE: Gear Changes: Take to Dealer!
Since it's a gear change it's not like you're clueing them into anything. Talk to them and at least you'll know where you stand and can go from there. They might say no problem at all, they might say they won't cover anything that happens due to the gear change like, obviously the gears/rear end itsef, but maybe more. Like drive train from the engine back... I have no idea. If you're really concerned about it, good to be perfectly clear up front.
by the way, here's a pretty good write-up on the Magnuson-Moss act of 1975
http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm
by the way, here's a pretty good write-up on the Magnuson-Moss act of 1975
http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm
2006 Magnum SRT8
AFE Stage II
Mopar Cat Back
185* T-stat
RDP tune by Steve
AFE Stage II
Mopar Cat Back
185* T-stat
RDP tune by Steve
RE: Gear question
Do you have specifics on the StarScan menu (or the new WiTech system menu) that allows the gear change? I was just at a Dodge dealer trying to do this EXACT thing because I am selling my Charger R/T. I want to keep my Predator to use on my SRT and don't want the new buyer to rely on needing the Predator. The service tech was not familiar with how to make that change with their system. I can't blame them for being ignorant because this is not a normal request. If I can get the info and take it to the tech then we can get the programming changed. Thanks.Quick wrote:How about just asking your dealer?
They will know the gears have been changed.
They will know it won't run without pcm modifications.
The question is if they'll take issue with you running a modified PCM program/tune... my guess is probably.
Saying "but I only changed the gear ratio" isn't going to cut it. From their point of view you have flashed the PCM with a new/different/not approved image. On the other hand, if there are warranty issues they have to show that the modification you did contributed to the failure (of course, that might involve you taking them to court...).
How about checking with the dealer to see if they would/could change the gear ratio at the dealership with a StarScan?
Stock tune, change gears, get car to dealership, have them change the gear ratio with a StarScan.
Then use the Predator and it should backup the original (with changed gear ratio) as your Original Backup.
2006 Charger SRT8
born on 6-21-06, home on 4-21-10.
born on 6-21-06, home on 4-21-10.