Page 1 of 1
Lew your AC problem
Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:33 am
by Ill_Born_SS
With your Trinity , create a guage>Miscellaneous>ac high pressure/volts> monitor it.
60* outside should be greater than 50 % of 5 volts
75* outside should be greater than 70 % of 5 volts
90* outside should be greater than 90 % of 5 volts
the guage is in % of 5volts so, lets say it is 76-85* the pressure should read high side 179-225psi after running for 5 min. If your number is like 20 while monitoring it would most likely indicate low system pressure and would require a re-charge ( considered normal for a 4-5 year old system) and your system will not start the compressor due low fill pressure.
RE: Lew your AC problem
Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:13 am
by 06MonteSS
aaaah... NICE man!!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!
will check that out today on my way home from work.. supposed to be in the mid 70's here today...
so the gauge is in % of 5 volts... so what's it going to show me then?? is it going to show me the psi like you mention?? or would that be 100%... so you're saying that if it shows 20%, then it's low pressure... ??
RE: Lew your AC problem
Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:35 am
by mikel
LOL.
I overfilled mine this weekend and made the compressor freeze up. It was fun. It was 90*. LOL.
I bled out like 20-25 psi of pressure and it worked fine....
RE: Lew your AC problem
Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:00 am
by Ill_Born_SS
It`s going to show you a % of 5v so like the 20 eg I gave, it would be 20% of 5v which is 1 volt and that is like maybe 80psi (don`t hold me to that exactly, still figuring this out) which is way to low using the temps I used.
You should have a number somewhere greater than 50%of 5v.
Also did you check all the fuses related to the AC, (BATT 4,Emission 2/15A,AC Compress /10A,AC Compress Relay, all are located in the engine bay fuse box)
With the key off, remove and tap the relay then re-install, check it for corrosion on the terminals (clean with a pencil eraser if needed)
Mike, yes an overpressure will also prevent it from operating.
and
If you suspect a leak just go over the system with a blacklight. GM installs a flourescent dye in all their systems.
RE: Lew your AC problem
Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:38 am
by 06MonteSS
yeah, I checked the AC Compressor fuse, it was fine... the relay, well, ya cant tell by visual inspection... but I did pull it out and all contacts were still perfectly fine... didn't try tapping it tho...
also, didn't know the batt and emissions fuses had to do with it... but I would *think* that if one of those were shot, I'd get a trouble code and/or a CEL... but I'll check 'em anyway...
yeah, when I push the button to turn the AC on, the light is on steady like normal, but, you don't hear anything switching on/clicking over at all...
Ill_Born_SS wrote:
If you suspect a leak just go over the system with a blacklight. GM installs a flourescent dye in all their systems.
now THAT'S cool... didn't know that!! now I gotta find a blacklight somewhere... LOL
thanks man, all good tips/info!!!
RE: Lew your AC problem
Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:57 am
by Ill_Born_SS
It all get its power from BATT4, then the relay and from the relay it goes to the compressor clutch and the emission 2 ( in case of overheat or cel, automatically shuts the AC down to prevent extra burden on car,(it can even shut off 4 of the 8 injectors to assist with cool down, disable dod and a whole bunch more)
I would say that you are probably just in need for a system service/ topup. The system only holds 1.2 lbs max and I am sure they don`t come perfectly full to start with! GM and their $,02 here and $.04 there, austerity you know!
RE: Lew your AC problem
Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:03 pm
by 06MonteSS
ok, cool...
I will check those other fuses to make sure...
and then will try to find a black light to make sure it wasn't a leak anywhere... that's what I DON'T want it to be.. then they'll have to take out my CAI setup and everything to get at the lines... uugghhh...
RE: Lew your AC problem
Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:48 pm
by 06MonteSS
k... monitored the ac pressure (psi) and also the one for volts...
the one with the volts, was showing 21-23% of 5 volts....
and the parameter for the psi, was showing about 83 psi....
so, it sounds like just a recharge is needed... WHEW!!
cuz if it was due to a leak, there'd be no pressure at all, right??? cuz there'd be a hole and everything would be out of the system and no way to keep pressure in...
RE: Lew your AC problem
Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:36 pm
by 06MonteSS
Thanks Ill_Born!!!

RE: Lew your AC problem
Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:18 am
by Ill_Born_SS
Yea Lew, really glad to help!
You are correct about the location of the gauges, I edited the first post so others may find their way and the AC pressure find by you is also an extreem bonus...
This Trinity is one great little contraption!
RE: Lew your AC problem
Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:16 pm
by WoodburyMan
Ooooo. Nifty.