I live at an altitude of just over 5,000 feet and 91 octane is the best available. I often encounter 90 octane at stations around 7,000 feet.
Typical octane rating reduces in relationship to altitude.
So, I am wondering if the 93 octane tune would be acceptable for a vehicle operated at ~5,000 feet on 91 octane fuel....?
Discuss....
D-
High altitude tuning.
Moderator: mikel
RE: High altitude tuning.
Log it. No way to know otherwise.
- cruiserdan
- Posts: 21
- Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:37 pm
RE: High altitude tuning.
OK,
I can log. once I log what am I looking for? I loaded it to see what effect it would have on the CEL codes I am currently dealing with.
I come from carburetors and pencils. I am attempting to learn.
D-
I can log. once I log what am I looking for? I loaded it to see what effect it would have on the CEL codes I am currently dealing with.
I come from carburetors and pencils. I am attempting to learn.
D-
RE: High altitude tuning.
Log Knock Retard, Short term. And log the spark advance, rpms, fuel trims, speed I guess would help, throttle position.
- cruiserdan
- Posts: 21
- Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:37 pm
RE: High altitude tuning.
Copy.
I presume that if knock retard is not happening then the 93 octane parameters are acceptable for the available 91 at this altitude.
Of course if I travel to lower alittude, I will need to feed the car 93 or substitute the 91 octane tune for operation at such altitudes.
I presume that if knock retard is not happening then the 93 octane parameters are acceptable for the available 91 at this altitude.
Of course if I travel to lower alittude, I will need to feed the car 93 or substitute the 91 octane tune for operation at such altitudes.
Last edited by cruiserdan on Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2009 Challenger SRT8. Corsa exhaust, K&N CAI and one of those clear blue tuner thingys.
- cruiserdan
- Posts: 21
- Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:37 pm
Re: RE: High altitude tuning.
double-tap
2009 Challenger SRT8. Corsa exhaust, K&N CAI and one of those clear blue tuner thingys.
- airportdave
- Posts: 57
- Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:23 pm
RE: Re: RE: High altitude tuning.
I live at 6,000', and run the 91 tune on a mix of 91 and 87, with zero knock retard. I tried the 93 tune with straight 91 fuel, and also had no knock retard, but I didn't detect a noticeable power difference, so I went back to the 91 tune.
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L, QDII
InTune 91 Octane Tune
(Previous Predator User)
InTune 91 Octane Tune
(Previous Predator User)