Help with throttle boost

Predator support for Dodge gas vehicles

Moderator: mikel

Bubblez1001

Help with throttle boost

Post by Bubblez1001 »

Alright I have read many times what throttle boost does, but am still missing the final puzzle piece for this to work for me in my head.
Ie. tricks PCM into thinking pedal is pressed down further than it is, causing it to open the TB more than it normally would at given pedal position.

Here's my question, followed by an example and my thoughts. PLEASE explain how i am wrong or if it works in a different way.

Does throttle boost open past WOT ? ( i don't see how it could unless the PCM doesn't normally open 100% )

example: say i set throttle boost to 25%
@ 10% pedal movement it would run as if 12.5%
@ 20% pedal movement it would run as if 25%
@ 30% pedal movement it would run as if 37.5%
@ 40% pedal movement it would run as if 50%
@ 50% pedal movement it would run as if 62.5%
@ 60% pedal movement it would run as if 75%
@ 70% pedal movement it would run as if 87.5%
@ 80% pedal movement it would run as if 100%
@ 90% pedal movement it would run as if ???
@ 100% pedal movement it would run as if ???
I am guessing at any more than 80% pedal it stays at WOT, (cant go past 100% right? )

My thoughts on this is if you just hammer the pedal to 100% WOT what does throttle boost gain? If it works as i think and effectively makes your pedal operate 0-80% as if 0-WOT, ( and anything past 80% also as WOT ), in this example, IT WOULD MAKE THE CAR FEEL MORE RESPONSIVE/QUICKER WITH LIGHT PEDAL ADJUSTMENTS. But a heavy foot or knowing your pedal to throttle responsiveness would render throttle boost possibly unwanted or w/o benefit?
Trading an even smooth throttle throughout the entire pedal's play for a more aggressive/fun low and mid pedal play while maintaining same pedal max, at the cost of possible finite and small amounts of precision ?
mikel

Re: Help with throttle boost

Post by mikel »

Bubblez1001 wrote: I am guessing at any more than 80% pedal it stays at WOT, (cant go past 100% right? )
correct...
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
cristgl

RE: Re: Help with throttle boost

Post by cristgl »

All,

I understand the idea of throttle boost explained above and really like the option to choose how "quick" the throttle comes on. I would imagine this is the same as moving the cable to one of the alternate holes in the linkage on a carburetor. However, I have a different issue with throttle delay and would like to know if anyone else has experienced this AND if there is a fix for it.

When I press the accelerator there is a noticeable delay. This is oddly enough time for me to get aggravated and curse at the car before it begins to actually increase the RPM's. It does not matter if I go WOT or just lightly press on the throttle . . . the delay seems to be the same.

I have replaced the throttle body (OEM part) and the two Dodge dealerships I have near me have re-calibrated the throttle body with no success. Both dealerships have also told me that this is "normal" for the HEMI w/ ETC.

Has anyone else experienced this delay and is there a setting in the Predator that I can adjust to remove this delay?

Thanks,

Greg C.
2007 Dodge Charger R/T
U7135 (r29)
white_lightning

Post by white_lightning »

several people have had good results with better throttle response on 04 & up Hemi Ram trucks by grounding the throttle body.

simple ground wire from throttle body mounting bolt to ground on firewall, sidewall, or (-)battery post and the throttle blade opens and closes faster.

seems to benefit shift quality on some Rams too.

if there is not direct ground for the throttle body on a Charger R/T, could work well on a Charger R/T too.
Diablo Dodge CMR Tuner

Cell Phone#: (520) 508-5320

whitelightningtuning@yahoo.com

My Ride:
2005 Ram QC 1500, APS converter, 210/214 112 LSA cam, LT headers, True Duals, 4.56 gears, 180* T-Stat and some other mods. Tuned by Me.
cristgl

Post by cristgl »

OK. As amazed as I am with this . . . I believe it may have worked?!?!? I pieced a ground wire together and ran it from the top-left TB bolt over to the grounding peg on the passenger side fender. The first 25% of the throttle seems to have much better control and the delay seems to be gone.

Now for the hard question . . .

Where is the TB supposed to get it's ground from and why is it lacking???
Mike_Levy

Post by Mike_Levy »

It grounds through the harness. Only possibility since the manifold is plastic and can't carry an electrical charge.
cristgl

Post by cristgl »

Does anyone besides me find this to be a design flaw???
white_lightning

Re: RE: Re: Help with throttle boost

cristgl wrote:Does anyone besides me find this to be a design flaw???
I sure think it's a design flaw. as you have seen, the factory TB grounding is not as good as it should be.

dunno wtf the Dodge engineers were thinking, or NOT thinking when they did that. it effects hundreds of thousands of vehicles that have electronic throttle bodies.
dficarra

RE: Re: RE: Re: Help with throttle boost

Post by dficarra »

Wow, I just happened to stumble upon this forum and thread and I have exactly the same delay problem on my 06 Charger R/T. It's always been there and has bugged me to no end! To be honest I'm not all that familiar anymore with working on my engine since I no longer have a garage to fiddle with stuff, so if I'm needing a "ground cable" is that something I can just go to the auto parts place and ask for one there? I'm sure this is a dumb question, so go easy on me. Thanks.
white_lightning

fine question. best way to learn is ask.

you need a piece of #12 or #10 wire, length depends on where you decide to ground to, and 2 ring or spade terminals. solder on terminals, and it's ready to install.
Diablo Dodge CMR Tuner

Cell Phone#: (520) 508-5320

whitelightningtuning@yahoo.com

My Ride:
2005 Ram QC 1500, APS converter, 210/214 112 LSA cam, LT headers, True Duals, 4.56 gears, 180* T-Stat and some other mods. Tuned by Me.
Mike_Levy

Post by Mike_Levy »

Real easy. I made one the other night in about 3 minutes out of scrap parts. Used crimp connectors since thats what I had around. No idea if I'll ever use it, or if I need it, but I had nothing better to do.
adventurer

Post by adventurer »

on my truck (06 hemi) and on my friend's (04 rumble bee) we Ran a 4 AWG HKS GROUNDING WIRE KIT from the upper left TB bolt to the ground bolt on the passenger side and zip-tied it all down and that made obvious improvements in throttle response and smooth idling on both trucks ,,,
Attachments
HKS-Grounding-Kit 1.jpg
HKS-Grounding-Kit 1.jpg (40.32 KiB) Viewed 12287 times
( 1 ) 2010 RAM HEMI CC/ S&B CAI/87MM TB/JET 180 TSTAT/HKS TB GW/OIL BREATHER FILTER/Y PIPE/PYPES VIOLATOR MUFFLER/DS CUSTOM TUNE.
( 2 ) 06 Ram QC hemi 4x4 SLT, Sport , Magnaflow cat-back ,Y pipe , Poweraid TB spacer, HKS TB GW, SRT8 Mopar CAI, DS Custom tune, Oil breather filter, Jet 180 Tstat.
dficarra

Post by dficarra »

Great, thanks guys. I'll see about putting that together today and hopefully I'll get the same good results as you did.
white_lightning

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Help with throttle boost

Mike_Levy wrote:Real easy. I made one the other night in about 3 minutes out of scrap parts. Used crimp connectors since thats what I had around. No idea if I'll ever use it, or if I need it, but I had nothing better to do.
you have an SRT-8, right? may not get the same improvement, since 6.1 intake is aluminum and conducts electricity. should have much better direct ground than plastic 5.7 intake.
Mike_Levy

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Help with throttle boost

Post by Mike_Levy »

white_lightning wrote:
Mike_Levy wrote:Real easy. I made one the other night in about 3 minutes out of scrap parts. Used crimp connectors since thats what I had around. No idea if I'll ever use it, or if I need it, but I had nothing better to do.
you have an SRT-8, right? may not get the same improvement, since 6.1 intake is aluminum and conducts electricity. should have much better direct ground than plastic 5.7 intake.
I have a CTS-V. The ground is through the supercharger. I didn't actually make it to use, just made it because I had nothing else to do, and my hands have to be doing something or I starting picking on paint and stuff like that. :oops: