Kia Optima 2.0 Turbo

Do you know of a future Product you would like us to make?

Moderator: mikel

rlkimmel

Re: Kia Optima 2.0 Turbo

Post by rlkimmel »

unreligion wrote:nothing wrong with korean cars bro

Just a bit of info. My Colorado was assembled in Shreeveport, LA and 73% of the parts were made either in the US or Canada. My sister and girlfriend both bought 2012 Kia Sorento 4 cyls that were assembled in Indianna from parts of which 64% were made in the US or Canada. I drive a lot of different vehicles and the Kia's are among the best and most reasonably priced. In fact, most of the major "imports" are assembled in the US. Also, check out where Beemers and Mercedes are made. It's not here and they are definately NOT made in Germany anymore.
Cowboyollie

Post by Cowboyollie »

I am in for my 2013 Optima SX. We need to get these sweet engines tuned (more boost). I have owned 2 Dodge Charger SRT8's. Even though I love the V8 muscle power, their is a lot to say about a powerful engine with great gas mileage.
05Z71

Post by 05Z71 »

mikel wrote:
Mike_Levy wrote:Ugh, you guys are going rice now? The Germans should have priority. Far more potential. People are willing to overpay for their tunes, so you know that they'll flock to a decent priced tuner.
Thats part of the problem...they wont.

MB/BMW guys will pass on a sub $500 tuner to pay more, we've seen it.

As many euro cars as I see on the road daily pales in comparison to the number of 2.0T Hyundais/Kias I see daily.

Regardless, most euro and japanese PCMs use ISO protocal, which is what were working on next.
The Optimas have the ISO15765 (CAN) protocol. There is quite a bit of interest on this over on Optimaforums.
Makin friends one post at a time!

05 Chevy Z71 5.3L, 18x9 KMC XD Spy Wheels, 275/70R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Cherry Bomb Exhaust, K&N Drop in, Predator TWEAKED
jwdominick

Post by jwdominick »

The 2.0T is being used more widely this and next year. Hyundai upped the output of the Gen coupe to the same as the Optima and Sonata twins. Seems to be in the Santa Fe, Volester, and likely more models. Could corner the market on these cars and get out ahead of the competition!
I'll be watching for results
OKOptimaSX

Post by OKOptimaSX »

A bump again...to show the interest in creating a DS tuner for the 2.0l Turbo

I am sure within the first month you would sell over 1,000 units...price each at 500 ish $....
Mfox2

Post by Mfox2 »

Any luck with a Kia Optima 2.0 Turbo Tune?
mikel

Post by mikel »

Mfox2 wrote:Any luck with a Kia Optima 2.0 Turbo Tune?
Its not going to happen overnight :)

A project like this, to do it right, will take months at minimum...
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
05Z71

Post by 05Z71 »

We understand completely, Mike. Just knowing that there is hope for our cars is great. Now to fight off that anxiety! Lol!

05 Chevy Z71 5.3L, 18x9 KMC XD Spy Wheels, 275/70R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Cherry Bomb Exhaust, K&N Drop in, Predator TWEAKED
acid_burn

Post by acid_burn »

I'm here cuz the fellas at over at www.optimaforums.com. I am a member there. I am interested in your product for my 2011 Kia Optima SX Turbo. Can't wait for a proper tune!
mikew2069

Post by mikew2069 »

I've been thinking about trading in my SX but if you're working on a proper tune that will actually allow me to realize gains from my mods, you could end up saving me a whole lotta money!
OKOptimaSX

Post by OKOptimaSX »

Giving this a bump as more and more 2.0 liter turbo engines are being sold.....cmon Mikel, give us some love and bump this up a priority or fifteen. 8) :D
rlkimmel

Post by rlkimmel »

Mike_Levy wrote:Ugh, you guys are going rice now? The Germans should have priority. Far more potential. People are willing to overpay for their tunes, so you know that they'll flock to a decent priced tuner.

German??? Check out where Beemers and Mercs are built. It may be German "engineering" but they are definately "NOT" assembled by German workers.
Mike_Levy

Post by Mike_Levy »

rlkimmel wrote:

German??? Check out where Beemers and Mercs are built. It may be German "engineering" but they are definately "NOT" assembled by German workers.
Some of them are still built in Germany, especially the cars (my 540i was built in Dingolfing, Germany). Its mostly the SUVs that are built in the US. I've been to BMWs South Carolina facility, and its still run very German, even though its in the US.

Plus, what does that have to do with tuning? As I've shown mikel, theres huge potential. Tuners are making close to 100hp with the 4.4L Twin Turbo with a tune. Thats because the turbos are so understressed with the factory tuning. I don't think thats the case with the Kia/Hyundai. I think they're probably using the smallest turbos they can, much like GM does with the 1.4L, leaving very little on the table for boost increases.
05Z71

Post by 05Z71 »

Mike_Levy wrote:
rlkimmel wrote:

Some of them are still built in Germany, especially the cars (my 540i was built in Dingolfing, Germany). Its mostly the SUVs that are built in the US. I've been to BMWs South Carolina facility, and its still run very German, even though its in the US.

Plus, what does that have to do with tuning? As I've shown mikel, theres huge potential. Tuners are making close to 100hp with the 4.4L Twin Turbo with a tune. Thats because the turbos are so understressed with the factory tuning. I don't think thats the case with the Kia/Hyundai. I think they're probably using the smallest turbos they can, much like GM does with the 1.4L, leaving very little on the table for boost increases.
Though we can't expect to see a 100hp gain, we do know that the car can handle 21psi which is a 3.5psi gain over stock. THe biggest deal for us is that the ECU limits what we can see from other mods. After a few startups, the ECU learns the new mods and dumbs everything down to run the stock torque. So could a tune increase the hp by 100 by itself? Not at all. Could a tune along with other bolt-ons really wake this car up even more? Absofreakinlutely!

I guess my biggest question is, why are you so worried about what DS decides to develop for?

Oh and by the way, the Kia Optima IS German engineering....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Schreyer

06MonteSS

Post by 06MonteSS »

like Sarah Palin said, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still... well, you know... :lol:

I wouldn't hold my breath.... ;)
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net