Will Trinity work as a code reader all OBD II Cars? Taurus?

General Trinity Support

Moderator: mikel

xounlistedxox

Will Trinity work as a code reader all OBD II Cars? Taurus?

Post by xounlistedxox »

One of the main reasons I liked the Trinity is that it advertised being an OBD II reader for general purposes. Well today I tried to read a check engine light on my girlfriends car 2010 hyundai elantra and no luck. Is the trinity setup for all obd II cars, or only certain cars?

Update: My Mom's 1996 Taurus also came up with a check engine light. The trinity can't read the codes for her car either. What's up with that?
Last edited by xounlistedxox on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
06MonteSS

Re: Will Trinity work as a code reader all OBD II Cars? Hyun

Post by 06MonteSS »

gm, ford, dodge/chrylser/jeep....
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net
xounlistedxox

Post by xounlistedxox »

yeah that's kind of what I was figuring since those are the only type of cars that can be selected
xounlistedxox

Post by xounlistedxox »

06MonteSS wrote:gm, ford, dodge/chrylser/jeep....

Today I attempted to get the CEL from my moms 1996 Taurus and it couldn't retrieve the codes. It took longer to process than on the hyundai, but still no codes. The trinity works fine for my 05 Neon SRT-4, but so far that's it.
mikel

Re: Will Trinity work as a code reader all OBD II Cars? Taur

Post by mikel »

96 taurus likely uses an older EECV, which Trinity does not support.

We dont even support the protocal used in the Hyundai.

It will work in some unsupported applications, but they need to at least share a PCM and communication protocal with a similar supported vehicle.

it will read/clear codes on a non SRT4 neon, or a 2.7 Charger, or a Caravan, even though we dont tune them.
It will log or read/clear codes on any GM vehicle with an E38/E67 PCM, regardless if we support it for tuning or not.
It will log/clear codes on any Ford with a CAN based OAK processor, whether we support it for tuning or not...
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
XxScottxXN

Post by XxScottxXN »

SO....I can use the trinity on my girlfriends 03 Monte Carlo SS to read codes?? Do I need to set my 11 Camaro back to stock in order to read hers???
2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE, CAI intake, Stainless Power LT headers, Bo White ported/polished TB, and a Badass tune from LEW!!!
mikel

Post by mikel »

yes, and no....
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
etdavenport

Post by etdavenport »

My ABS lights and Traction control lights are on indicating either a bad wheel speed sensor or an ABS issue. The Trinity is saying all is well. I have a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JK and it reads codes, but always says nothing wrong. Pretty useless as a code reader. Only reads basic troubleshooting codes. Even the cheap scanner at NApa can tell you which wheel speed sensor is bad.... I paid $1000+ for this one and just killed my gas mileage.
06MonteSS

Post by 06MonteSS »

the programmer will only read/scan ENGINE/ECM codes man... can not read codes for any other modules like tcm, bcm, abs, etc. etc... You'd need to get a full scanner tool to be able to read all trouble codes from all modules man...
06MonteSS / DiabLew Tune
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com -- www.diablocustomtuning.net