2006 Cat C7 'engine failure'

PowerPuck/Extreme PowerPuck Support

Moderator: mikel

wes1600

2006 Cat C7 'engine failure'

Post by wes1600 »

We got tagged by a service department as a supposed engine failure (yet to confirm anything other than injector problems from the codes set) due to an improperly installed Extreme puck. :?: (This was installed this past early June/2012). They 'claim' the unit was 'T'd with the Baro sensor, not the boost sensor and the ICP. According to Vas' email this morning, that should have set codes and not worked 'if anything'.
Customer liked the power gain from an email July 04th...and noticed his trans temps are higher (well...so is the weather).

Ideas ?
wes1600

Re: 2006 Cat C7 'engine failure'

Post by wes1600 »

http://westersgarageforum.com/showthrea ... 5#post1875

A link to our forum that might help someone with sorting out what sensor is what ! The installation guide isn't too helpful, and there's
little to no info on the internet that I could find, anyways.
Note...the connectors are identical--and we were told that it ran fine when connected to the baro sensor.

I'm going to take a stab at strategy. As boost increases, it's clipped to indicate less to the ECM, but allow higher rail pressure ?
mikel

Post by mikel »

Yes, the MAP side is a boost fooler, so not sure how/what would happen if it was plugged into the wrong sensor?
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
wes1600

Post by wes1600 »

Well...I'd say if the 'baro' signal didn't change, neither would anything with respect to output on the powerpuck. Just my thoughts...
The outfit that worked on the motorhome won't send pictures of the 'supposed' engine damage, etc...near as I can tell, they're attempting a scam.
I did get a snapshot of the ECM data, and confusing information from the service department about wiring that was pulled apart, so I'm not sure what's going on here. Anyways--I'm documenting all the info in case someone tries something 'funny'.
mikel

Post by mikel »

Yeah, that sounds fishy....
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

tech@diablosport.com
wes1600

Post by wes1600 »

**UPDATE** -- the owner took his motorhome to another dealer, and duplicated the 'problem' by connecting to the ATM sensor instead of the MAP/Boost sensor with the extreme puck. The result was a 1 PSI change in the reading at the ATM sensor...works out to 1500 feet in elevation (higher...not lower in elevation).
Stock -- 14 PSI, and with the ATM connected to the Extreme Puck instead of MAP -- it read 13 PSI.

There isn't a system in the world of engine design that adds fuel the higher you go in elevation (unless you're the space shuttle), and even with this scenario the fueling
would be less--not more. The dealer told him the opposite...and having it connected this way blew up the engine.

The customer commented that he liked the dial turned up all the way :blowup: ....and that's the rest of the story. Hope he'll put this to rest and admit that the C7 CAT has
a huge following of engine failures in multiple RV forums, with totally stock unmodified engines.