Page 1 of 2

Lean mixture

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:51 am
by MACADO1
Last evening I tried to get a Dynotune for my '11 Charger R/T. No mater how much fuel the tuning guy tried to add, the car ran lean at high rpms. He said there could be a fuel pump problem. Has anyone heard of this? I'm off to the dealer to check this out.

Re: Lean mixture

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:52 am
by sharkcohen
What was the a/f? Can you post some graphs?

Re: Lean mixture

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:31 pm
by mikel
MACADO1 wrote:Last evening I tried to get a Dynotune for my '11 Charger R/T. No mater how much fuel the tuning guy tried to add, the car ran lean at high rpms. He said there could be a fuel pump problem. Has anyone heard of this? I'm off to the dealer to check this out.
any mods?

how lean is lean?

Re: Lean mixture

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:51 pm
by MACADO1
Mikel. He said my r/a ratio was 13 to 1 . at 5400 rpm. The only mod is a Frankentake IV CAI. He was trying to install a custom tune. He also said it was lean with the stock tune. Possible fuel pump? Dealer will check tomorrow. The tech at the dealer said a lean condition should flash a eng. light.

Re: Lean mixture

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:14 am
by mastuning
i have never seen an intake only cause such a lean mixture, try the stock file it will run fine.

the tuner is probably changing tables he shouldnt, if you fuel pump is dead your car will not run.

also check if in the device itself you did not make an lean adjustments which can cause lean conditions.

Re: Lean mixture

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:46 am
by mikel
Well, if it was lean like that on the stock tune as well, there may be an issue somewhere...

Re: Lean mixture

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:59 pm
by MACADO1
Mikel. Perhaps I'm being snookered. First of all the car checked normal at the dealer. I ran a F/A run with the Diablo Tuner hooked up. At low rpms my readings were about 14.8, which is normal for idle. It goes to about 11.51 or so at about 5200 rpm. Right before second to third shift. Is this too lean, for a Hemi 5.7? This occurred with a stock tune.

Re: Lean mixture

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:32 am
by mikel
11.5:1 is not lean at all....

Re: Lean mixture

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:06 pm
by MACADO1
Mikel. Thanks for the answers so far. But, how lean, is too lean?

Re: Lean mixture

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:36 pm
by mikel
these things like to be at 12.3-12.5:1 at WOT. Any leaner, and you're likely losing power.

Re: Lean mixture

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:39 am
by MACADO1
Mikel. I had the car to the dealer, they said nothing was wrong. (See first post) I ran a F/A check with the Trinity tuner, and got something like 11.5 to 1 readings. The tuner guy said that those readings are what the computer is wanting, not actual. What's going on there?

Re: Lean mixture

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:52 am
by mikel
MACADO1 wrote:Mikel. I had the car to the dealer, they said nothing was wrong. (See first post) I ran a F/A check with the Trinity tuner, and got something like 11.5 to 1 readings. The tuner guy said that those readings are what the computer is wanting, not actual. What's going on there?
correct,the PCM does not monitor AFR, it just shows what the PCM is commanding. I wonder if maybe there was an issue with the wideband or if it blew out of the exhaust at the end of the pull to go lean like that....

Re: Lean mixture

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:08 pm
by MACADO1
I am wondering the same. Is my tuner dishonest? Is there any way to check the A/F ratio with the Trinity?

Re: Lean mixture

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:13 pm
by mikel
No, you need a wideband to see actual AFR.

Next time you go to a dyno, make sure they can provide a printout of the dyno run, it can be very helpful :)

Re: Lean mixture

Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:20 pm
by MACADO1
At what point(A/F ratio) would the car pull timing, and about how much? I would think that if my A/F ratio was as high as he says it is,( 13.7 to 1 @ 5000+ RPM.) I would be getting some long term knock, or a lot of short term knock. More than 2 to 2.5 deg. I'm getting.