Page 1 of 1

8 speed HP90 in an '09 SRT

Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:45 am
by joe1982
Hey all, glad to be here. Actually at my age I am glad to be anywhere !
So what will it take to accomplish this conversion ? I see greasemonkey garage has done the hellcrate and 8 speed in at least 2 older vehicles using DIABLO tuning I believe. Torque management must be left in place. Sound German Automotive claims to have done this but using a Hellcat trans it will only shift in default, or street mode and they don't even know what torque management is. I understand the CAN protocols between the '09 and the HP90 are not compatible ? Would I have to switch to a '15 and up dash, wiring harness and the works ? I need that 8 speed, my Nag1 just is not reliable. Plus, I saw the jump of about .2 or .3 in the quarter mile when they went to the 8 speeds in the 392's. I would not need to rpm my engine so much. Thanks for any ideas.

Re: 8 speed HP90 in an '09 SRT

Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:35 am
by mikel
Honestly, this is not an area we have spent a bunch of time trying to figure out.
I would suggest you check out someone like hemituner performance or someone that has done some of these types of swaps for some first hand information ;)

Re: 8 speed HP90 in an '09 SRT

Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:03 pm
by joe1982
AJ did my tune and says the protocols are incompatible between the PCM and TCM. But someone out there is making it work in other vehicles, somehow. Thanks.

Re: 8 speed HP90 in an '09 SRT

Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:49 pm
by mikel
Well, I know AJ is an incredible source of knowledge on these vehicles, but keep digging!

Re: 8 speed HP90 in an '09 SRT

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:47 pm
by Mike_Levy
Doesn’t Mopar sell a controller kit that allows use of the Hemi and 8 speed in classics? That would probably be the easiest route.