Custom Tune Handling

Predator support for Dodge gas vehicles

Moderator: mikel

NetNathan
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:57 pm

Custom Tune Handling

Post by NetNathan »

I had a CMR tune done by RDP Motorsports.
When I go to custom tunes in the Preadator it does not have a selection to "see saved tunes". It only has choices for Import and Export of custom tune.
I have a the custom tune shown as "05030232af_rdp custom.drg" in "Last Tune Wriitten". How do I save it as a "Custom Tune" on the Predator? Do I have to be hooked to the car to do this?

I also want to get it backed up to my pc.

When I upload "Last Written Tune" with DSDownloader it uploads it as as "05030232af_custom.drg", but it is shown on the Predator in "Last Written Tune" as "05030232af_rdp custom.drg". Is this normal?
When I uploaded it, it was shown as only 8kb is this big enough for a CMR tune? I thought they were bigger.
2006 Charger SRT8
Inferno Red with All Factory Options / Groups
Side moldings and rear ram's head shaved, Diablosport Trinity 2 Platinum, Billett Technology bling
MPR Motorsports built 6.1 based/392 NA Stroker, BBK 85mm TB, TranZformer, Kooks Long Tubes, 3.70 LSD Hellcat rear cradle
whatever_weirdo
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:16 am

Re: Custom Tune Handling

Post by whatever_weirdo »

NetNathan wrote:I had a CMR tune done by RDP Motorsports.
When I go to custom tunes in the Preadator it does not have a selection to "see saved tunes". It only has choices for Import and Export of custom tune.
I have a the custom tune shown as "05030232af_rdp custom.drg" in "Last Tune Wriitten". How do I save it as a "Custom Tune" on the Predator? Do I have to be hooked to the car to do this?

I also want to get it backed up to my pc.

When I upload "Last Written Tune" with DSDownloader it uploads it as as "05030232af_custom.drg", but it is shown on the Predator in "Last Written Tune" as "05030232af_rdp custom.drg". Is this normal?
When I uploaded it, it was shown as only 8kb is this big enough for a CMR tune? I thought they were bigger.
alls you do is delete your 8kb one because it didnt upload last tune writin try it again it should show 47kb or so i had to do it 4 times till i got mine uploaded to the computer first was 5 kb then 2nd was 5kb then 3rd was 8kb then finnally i saw the predator go in remote mode and got my 47kb im all good now so make sure its aleast 47kb peace

stock should be 55kb if you did a 93 can tune or so
peace
mike
User avatar
mikel
Posts: 58777
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:17 pm
Location: DiabloSport World Headquarters
Contact:

RE: Re: Custom Tune Handling

Post by mikel »

8kb is correct for exporting a custom tune, as it is only exporting the changes in the tune, not the whole file.
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

[email protected]
whatever_weirdo
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:16 am

Re: RE: Re: Custom Tune Handling

Post by whatever_weirdo »

mikel wrote:8kb is correct for exporting a custom tune, as it is only exporting the changes in the tune, not the whole file.
yep mike i looked again your correct 8kb is the cmr tune
Quick
Posts: 1283
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:34 am

Re: RE: Re: Custom Tune Handling

Post by Quick »

mikel wrote:8kb is correct for exporting a custom tune, as it is only exporting the changes in the tune, not the whole file.
Mike,

Could we get a very explicit writeup on this. Years later I'm still not clear on some scenarios

First of all my understanding is that.

".drg" files are complete tune files.
".frg" files only contain the changes to a .drg file -- a diff file.

Is the delta contained in a .frg file the delta from the associated .drg file? or is the delta all the changes from the Original Backup?

For example,

1) Get Original Backup from Predator and save on PC as D:/Magnum/05030232ae.drg
2) Get RDP tune via email and save on PC as D:/Magnum/RDP/05030232ae_RDP CUSTOM .drg
3) Load RDP tune on Predator, add 5% fuel in modify parameters, load to car.
4) Export Last Written tune to PC and save as D:/Magnum/05030232ae_RDP CUSTOM plus 5.frg

Can I now delete D:/Magnum/RDP/05030232ae_RDP CUSTOM .drg?
Will 05030232ae_RDP CUSTOM plus 5.frg now reflect everything I had in the custom tune (plus 5% fuel)?
2006 Magnum SRT8
AFE Stage II
Mopar Cat Back
185* T-stat
RDP tune by Steve
NetNathan
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:57 pm

RE: Re: RE: Re: Custom Tune Handling

Post by NetNathan »

Good qiuestion Quick....
I have never uploaded a tune with ".frg"????

How about the tune name issue with DSdownloader? If it has one name in the Predator shouldn't it upload to pc with the same name?
2006 Charger SRT8
Inferno Red with All Factory Options / Groups
Side moldings and rear ram's head shaved, Diablosport Trinity 2 Platinum, Billett Technology bling
MPR Motorsports built 6.1 based/392 NA Stroker, BBK 85mm TB, TranZformer, Kooks Long Tubes, 3.70 LSD Hellcat rear cradle
User avatar
mikel
Posts: 58777
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:17 pm
Location: DiabloSport World Headquarters
Contact:

RE: Re: RE: Re: Custom Tune Handling

Post by mikel »

Well, for starters, ALL DCX tunes should have a .drg extension, if it exports as .frg, it is DSDL messing up, and the file extension must be changed to open it properly in CMR.

QUICK:
Yes, if you would like, you can get rid of the tune he sent you and replace it with the tune you created by modifying it.

Thanks
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

[email protected]
User avatar
Mike_Levy
Posts: 6715
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: Between Orlando and Tampa

RE: Re: RE: Re: Custom Tune Handling

Post by Mike_Levy »

I was under the impression that drg files were Dodge tunes and frg were Ford?
User avatar
mikel
Posts: 58777
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:17 pm
Location: DiabloSport World Headquarters
Contact:

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Custom Tune Handling

Post by mikel »

Mike_Levy wrote:I was under the impression that drg files were Dodge tunes and frg were Ford?
Correct.
Mike Litsch
DiabloSport Brand Manager
Diablo Tech support by phone:
561-908-0040
M-F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

[email protected]
Quick
Posts: 1283
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:34 am

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Custom Tune Handling

Post by Quick »

Oops. my bad... Terribly timing for a screw up like that trying to clarify all this.

The .frg files I have are "tune lists" that I saved. So when you are in the advanced tuning tab you can make a list of tunes to download to the predator and then you can save the list. I got a .frg extension when I did that. crap. sorry for the confusion.

Nathan, in the advanced tuning tab you can check the box for advanced mode. That's going to allow you to specify a display name for a tune file as well as add description text. On the Predator you will see the display name. On the PC you are dealing with the file name. is that it?
2006 Magnum SRT8
AFE Stage II
Mopar Cat Back
185* T-stat
RDP tune by Steve
NetNathan
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Custom Tune Handling

Post by NetNathan »

Quick wrote:Nathan, in the advanced tuning tab you can check the box for advanced mode. That's going to allow you to specify a display name for a tune file as well as add description text. On the Predator you will see the display name. On the PC you are dealing with the file name. is that it?


I am aware that I can change the file name and description in Advanced mode.
My interest was....does the DSdownloader upload a file with the same name as seen in the Predator.
On the Predator it shows the name of the "Last Written File" as "05030232af_rdp custom.drg". However when I use the DSdownloader to upload the "Last Written File" to the pc, DSdownloader wants to save it as "05030232af_custom.drg". This makes me wonder if it is getting the correct file. Shouldn't DSdownloader recognize the file name in the Predator?

Also,
I have a the custom tune shown as "05030232af_rdp custom.drg" in "Last Tune Wriitten".
How do I save it as a "Custom Tune" on the Predator?
Do I have to be hooked to the car to do this?
In the Predator, when I go to custom tunes, I only see the ability to import and export a custom tune. Shouldn't I be able to "load" a custom tune? Or is this only if I have a saved "Custom Tune" in the Predato/.
2006 Charger SRT8
Inferno Red with All Factory Options / Groups
Side moldings and rear ram's head shaved, Diablosport Trinity 2 Platinum, Billett Technology bling
MPR Motorsports built 6.1 based/392 NA Stroker, BBK 85mm TB, TranZformer, Kooks Long Tubes, 3.70 LSD Hellcat rear cradle
Quick
Posts: 1283
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:34 am

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Custom Tune Handling

Post by Quick »

NetNathan wrote:
Quick wrote:Nathan, in the advanced tuning tab you can check the box for advanced mode. That's going to allow you to specify a display name for a tune file as well as add description text. On the Predator you will see the display name. On the PC you are dealing with the file name. is that it?


I am aware that I can change the file name and description in Advanced mode.
My interest was....does the DSdownloader upload a file with the same name as seen in the Predator.
Ummm. I think we're miscommunicating (both ways :)). In the DSDownloader advanced tuning tab with the advanced mode checked you can change the display name of a tune file. When you do this you are changing what is displayed on the predator in the Custom Tune menu. So I select 05030232af_rdp custom.drg to be downloaded. Then I can change the display name to "Steve's Tune". After I download that to the Predator I will see "Steve's Tune" in the Custom Tune menu.

Coming back to the PC when you do a "get last tune written" I believe the default file name is always 05030232af_custom.drg (<your car ID>_custom.drg). It's just the default they throw into the save file dialog box on the PC. Not sure how the Predator ID's files on the device but you only have the option to export/upload the Original Backup or the last tune written to the car.

By the way, in order to get the Predator to mark a tune as "last tune written" I don't think you have to actually write it to the car. You can select it to be written and then abort/menu out when you get to the last confirmation prompt before actually writing it to the PCM.

The file name you get in the save file dialog box is whatever JohnC? decided to put there.

[edit] the above is all from my experimentation with versions no later than 9r04. I'm assuming they didn't change that recently.
2006 Magnum SRT8
AFE Stage II
Mopar Cat Back
185* T-stat
RDP tune by Steve
NetNathan
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:57 pm

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Custom Tune Handling

Post by NetNathan »

I am running 9r02.
I need a warranty trip to dealer (hate warranty trips... except for the free oil change).
Sooo.. before I restore the "Original Baackup Tune" to take it to dealer, I want to make sure I don't loose my CMR custom tune. Rememer this is a CMR tune not just Predator changes.
So I have to at least save it as a Custom Tune in the Predator for right now. But even that seems had to do, and I thought I could save "about" 5. Heck I can't even get 1 saved yet.
When Sreve from RDP Motorsports did the CMR tune on my car, he told me that his tunes involve so many changes that 5 won't fit in the Predator due to memory. I could have sworn he told me most tunes are around 25kb but his are closer to 40kb.
So I thought it strange that his tune only uploaded at 8kb.

If the 8kb is only chnages to the stock tune, then does the Predator save a larger file in its custom tune section?
Confusing.....

Question for story:
1) Can the Predator store a full CMR tune as a "Custom Tune".

2) The CMR tune is shown in "Last File Written" on the Predator. How do I save it as a "Custom Tune" on the Predator and do I have to have the Predator plugged into the car to do so? (I asked about the car because I can power up the Predator and do some things in the menu using the power supply.)

3)When the Predator is hooked up to the car (no pc involved) does it only make a custom tune from what it reads from the PCM?
Last edited by NetNathan on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2006 Charger SRT8
Inferno Red with All Factory Options / Groups
Side moldings and rear ram's head shaved, Diablosport Trinity 2 Platinum, Billett Technology bling
MPR Motorsports built 6.1 based/392 NA Stroker, BBK 85mm TB, TranZformer, Kooks Long Tubes, 3.70 LSD Hellcat rear cradle
Quick
Posts: 1283
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:34 am

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Custom Tune Handling

Post by Quick »

Ummm, no. You have to at least save it on your PC. If you do a "restore original backup" it's going to restore the original backup to the car and "unmarry" itself from the car. Part of that is to erase any custom tunes on the device.

Then upon your return from the dealer hook the predator up to the car, go to download one of the Diablo Performance Tunes. Before it downloads the tune to the car the predator will first get a copy of your Original Backup (and marry itself to the car) and then go to download the tune to the car. You can abort right before it downloads the tune to the car but after it's copied your Original Backup.

Then go to the PC and send your CMR tune to the Predator. Then back to the car and download your CMR tune to the car.

By the way. Same procedure when updating the CROM if you ever do that. Just substitute "update CROM" for "go to dealer" :)
2006 Magnum SRT8
AFE Stage II
Mopar Cat Back
185* T-stat
RDP tune by Steve
NetNathan
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Custom Tune Handling

Post by NetNathan »

Quick wrote:Ummm, no. You have to at least save it on your PC. If you do a "restore original backup" it's going to restore the original backup to the car and "unmarry" itself from the car. Part of that is to erase any custom tunes on the device.


Are you sure about this?
I know it will clear any PCM adjustments and clears any thing done in "Quick Adjust".
But it des not "unmarry" itself from the car and erase any custom tunes on the device. You only restored the oriiginal PCM backup that was done when you first connected the Predator new.
From what I have been led to believe is the "Original Backup" is really handled like a tune thought of as "Default Settings". I gues that sounds too simple to be true.
I have my original backup stored to my pc in 2 locations. I have also backed up my "Last File Written" and I hope the 8kb file is my "complete" CMR tune one by RDP Motorsports.
2006 Charger SRT8
Inferno Red with All Factory Options / Groups
Side moldings and rear ram's head shaved, Diablosport Trinity 2 Platinum, Billett Technology bling
MPR Motorsports built 6.1 based/392 NA Stroker, BBK 85mm TB, TranZformer, Kooks Long Tubes, 3.70 LSD Hellcat rear cradle
Post Reply

Return to “Predator Dodge Gas”