2.75" vs. 3" exhaust

All General Questions can be posted here

Moderators: 06MonteSS, mikel

Post Reply
joeyz71

2.75" vs. 3" exhaust

Post by joeyz71 »

OK, here's the deal. I had my last truck, an '01 5.3 supercharged Silverado and put a 3" Flowmaster exhaust kit on it. I now have an '03 and it's gonna get identical mods ( K&N filter, supercharged,Gibson 1 5/8 primaries, Diablo and 3" exh maybe). Now, the stock exhaust is 2.75" and I can just get a Flowmaster muffler for it and save about $200.00. So, is the 1/4" increase from the cat flange back worth $200.00? :roll: The pipe b4 the flange is 2.75" anyways so the main advantage I guess is the expanding/scavenging properties that the step up in size offers too (kind of like a dirtbike).
I don't want to be cheap or anything, but don't have $ 2 burn either.
LightningMike03
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:45 am

Post by LightningMike03 »

If you have a mandrel bend system and are only at 6lbs boost, you are going to be fine at 2.75".
User avatar
madmanwithmouse
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:51 pm

Post by madmanwithmouse »

a note tho... if you double the dimater, you quadruple the flow.
2006 Dodge Ram Cummins 3500 Dully, 4x4, Manual trans:
Predator/Puck, Fass 95 Pump, 4" Turbo back Straight pipe, K/N, Quadzilla moniter and boost fooler, Intake baffle delete, Modded airbox
http://www.dieselbombers.com/index.php?referrerid=1849
joeyz71

Post by joeyz71 »

Yeah, but it just sucks that it's a cross over pipe after the cats, to the to the single flange that feeds the single inlet to whichever system I go with and either single or double out. I mean I can easily spend hundreds of $ and the crossover is still going to be my biggest restriction. But, I just may decide to go with the dual out near the rear bumper. If I'm gonna do it, it may as well look good to me when I'm walking up to my truck. To hell with what anyone else thinks. :wink:
Post Reply

Return to “General Questions”