Page 1 of 2
Key Fobs Range limited with Tuner plugged in
Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:17 pm
by Matti
When attempting to unlock/lock the doors with the T-1000 plugged into the Jeep the range is so limited i literally need to be standing in arms reach of the vehicle for it to lock/unlock.
Unplugging the tuner and trying it again i can lock unlock from down the street.
Is this a known issue?

Re: Key Fobs Range limited with Tuner plugged in
Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:38 am
by ElJay
Big Known Issue. Diablo Will Tell You To Move The Trinity But It Doesnt Matter Where It Is, Once The Obd Cable Is Plugged In, The Rfi Interference Starts.
Pretty Sure This Is Against FCC rules.
Re: Key Fobs Range limited with Tuner plugged in
Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:04 pm
by Matti
Being a Hamm Radio guy i decided to add about 15 ferrite chokes to the Cable.
This increased the range about 40 feet.
still not perfect, im awaiting a response from the FCC
Re: Key Fobs Range limited with Tuner plugged in
Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:35 pm
by Matti
Re: Key Fobs Range limited with Tuner plugged in
Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:16 pm
by snakebit
Not only that but it will limit the reception on some of my FM radio stations also.
As soon as I unplug the reception is crystal clear!

Re: Key Fobs Range limited with Tuner plugged in
Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:00 pm
by dlayne2012
I wondered why I was experiencing this. I really hate to keep connecting and disconnecting it bc that will take a toll on the OBDII port.
Re: Key Fobs Range limited with Tuner plugged in
Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:14 pm
by gesjr
Does the same thing on my 08 ram. i too am wondering about beating the hell out of the obd port by plugging and unplugging. Here in maine i depend on my remote start to warm the truck in the morning but hate to keep unplugging my trinity.
Re: Key Fobs Range limited with Tuner plugged in
Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:57 pm
by marcus23
I ageee with gesjr I installed a tuner on my 2011 ram and my remote start stopped working....bummer
Re: Key Fobs Range limited with Tuner plugged in
Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:47 pm
by DankMank
So the programmer has to be plugged into the OBD port for it to work? You don't simply upgrade, remove, and throw it in the drawer?
Re: Key Fobs Range limited with Tuner plugged in
Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:22 pm
by garrett
try moving the location of the trinity. the cable may be causing interference if routed close to the module for your keyless entry.
Re: Key Fobs Range limited with Tuner plugged in
Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:28 pm
by Matti
You can't move the obd port
Re: Key Fobs Range limited with Tuner plugged in
Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:35 pm
by mikel
Matti wrote:You can't move the fuckin obd port
hes not asking you to move the OBDII port, although, that is perfectly doable, lots of people relocate them for various reasons.
He suggesting that the location of the Trinity (where it is mounted) be moved, as it is likely sitting very close to the receiver for the remotes.
Re: Key Fobs Range limited with Tuner plugged in
Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:39 pm
by Matti
The issue is the cable not the tuner, as the issue happens even when the cable is plugged in alone.
It's an issue with the lack of shielding in your cable
Re: Key Fobs Range limited with Tuner plugged in
Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:55 pm
by johnny248
OMG....this is insane....
I've noticed that the keyless range is has been terrible in my '11 Ram. I have to be about 20' away from it to remote start with the factory remote keyless/starter. I never once put two and two together. I unplugged my cable and Trinity and it works fine. Although this is a crazy weird problem, I'm glad someone figured it out. Now, if I can only keep my DS plugged in and keep my range....
Re: Key Fobs Range limited with Tuner plugged in
Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:58 pm
by BRR
It's funny I stumbled across this topic..
I'm experiencing the same issue so first I replaced the key fob battery thinking that was it, then I thought the fob itself may be failing until I read this topic. This is exactly the same issue I currently have, has someone tried to wrap the cable with some type of shielding to see if the issue goes away?