High altitude tuning.

Predator support for Dodge gas vehicles

Moderator: mikel

Post Reply
User avatar
cruiserdan
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:37 pm

High altitude tuning.

Post by cruiserdan »

I live at an altitude of just over 5,000 feet and 91 octane is the best available. I often encounter 90 octane at stations around 7,000 feet.

Typical octane rating reduces in relationship to altitude.

So, I am wondering if the 93 octane tune would be acceptable for a vehicle operated at ~5,000 feet on 91 octane fuel....?

Discuss....


D-
User avatar
Mike_Levy
Posts: 6715
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: Between Orlando and Tampa

RE: High altitude tuning.

Post by Mike_Levy »

Log it. No way to know otherwise.
User avatar
cruiserdan
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:37 pm

RE: High altitude tuning.

Post by cruiserdan »

OK,

I can log. once I log what am I looking for? I loaded it to see what effect it would have on the CEL codes I am currently dealing with.

I come from carburetors and pencils. I am attempting to learn.

D-
User avatar
Mike_Levy
Posts: 6715
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: Between Orlando and Tampa

RE: High altitude tuning.

Post by Mike_Levy »

Log Knock Retard, Short term. And log the spark advance, rpms, fuel trims, speed I guess would help, throttle position.
User avatar
cruiserdan
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:37 pm

RE: High altitude tuning.

Post by cruiserdan »

Copy.

I presume that if knock retard is not happening then the 93 octane parameters are acceptable for the available 91 at this altitude.

Of course if I travel to lower alittude, I will need to feed the car 93 or substitute the 91 octane tune for operation at such altitudes.
Last edited by cruiserdan on Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2009 Challenger SRT8. Corsa exhaust, K&N CAI and one of those clear blue tuner thingys.
User avatar
cruiserdan
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: RE: High altitude tuning.

Post by cruiserdan »

double-tap
2009 Challenger SRT8. Corsa exhaust, K&N CAI and one of those clear blue tuner thingys.
User avatar
airportdave
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:23 pm

RE: Re: RE: High altitude tuning.

Post by airportdave »

I live at 6,000', and run the 91 tune on a mix of 91 and 87, with zero knock retard. I tried the 93 tune with straight 91 fuel, and also had no knock retard, but I didn't detect a noticeable power difference, so I went back to the 91 tune.
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L, QDII
InTune 91 Octane Tune
(Previous Predator User)
Post Reply

Return to “Predator Dodge Gas”